Long before time had a name, the world of Ninjago was created by the First Spinjitzu Master, by using the The Four Golden Weapons of Spinjitzu: The Scythe of Quakes, The Nunchucks of Lightning, the Shurikens of Ice, and the Sword of Fire. Weapons so powerful, no one other than The First Spinjitzu Master could handle all of their power at once. When the Spinjitzu Master passed away, his two sons, Wu and his older brother Garmadon, swore to protect them. Garmadon was bitten by The Great Devourer, a legendary snake that would grow longer as it consumes.
Garmadon was then consumed by darkness, and wanted to possess the weapons and remake Ninjago in his own image. A battle between brothers broke out, and the oldest was struck down and banished to the Underworld. Peace returned to Ninjago, and the younger brother hid the weapons, but knowing his older brother's relentless ambition for power, he placed guardian dragons to protect them and for fear of his own demise, and a map for an honest man to hide, who was Kai and Nya's father. Because Garmadon could not leave the Underworld, he struck a deal with Samukai and his Skullkin Army. In preparation, Sensei Wu gathered four young ninja, Kai, Jay, Cole, and Zane, to learn the ways of Spinjitzu, and stop Lord Garmadon. Kai was reluctant to join at first, but when Samukai and the Skullkin kidnapped Kai's sister Nya, he decided to train and join the ninja team to save her life.
After months of training, the four ninja began their quest to find the legendary Golden Weapons of Spinjitzu to stop Garmadon's evil plans, and travelled to the Caves of Despair to retrieve the Scythe of Quakes. After narrowly escaping the Earth Dragon protecting the weapon, the Ninja found the Nunchucks of Lightning and the Shurikens of Ice, while Samukai's skeletal legions followed them. Kai was lured into a trap at the Fire Temple by Lord Garmadon, and the skeletons stole the three weapons the ninja had collected, but Sensei Wu detained his brother's plan to unite the weapons at the temple by travelling to the Underworld with the last weapon, the Sword of Fire.
After taming the four dragons, they journeyed to the Underworld using the dragons' ability to travel between the mortal world and the Underworld to help Sensei Wu stop Garmadon once and for all. Using the Tornado of Creation, they destroyed the skeletons (locking them in a Ferris wheel that they created out of Garmadon's Dark Fortress' entrance) and made their way to the throne room of Garmadon's Dark Fortress, where a battle between Wu and Samukai broke out for the possession of the four weapons.
Sensei was defeated, and Samukai, having possession of all four weapons, betrayed Garmadon and demanded he obey him. However, Samukai was destroyed by all the weapon's power, as no mortal could handle all of the golden power at once. Using the portal through space and time created by Samukai when he wielded all four weapons, he traveled to an evil place called The Dark Continent where he gained even more power, planning to return for the weapons. Sensei Wu knew Garmadon would one day return, and that the battle for Ninjago had only just begun.
- 71207 Team Pack
- 71215 Fun Pack
- 71216 Fun Pack
- 71217 Fun Pack
- 71239 Fun Pack
- 71234 Fun Pack
- Master Chen
- Sensei Garmadon
- Jacob Pevsner
- Griffin Turner
- Anacondrai Cultist
- Fishing Village
- Ed & Edna's Scrap N Junk
- Monastery of Spinjitzu
- Mr Chen's Noodle House
- Master Chen's Arena
- Steep Wisdom Tea Shop
- Sunken Junk Boat
- Valley of Despair
- In the episode of the Masters of Spinjitzu, "Curse World - Part II," it was revealed that the Land of Chima is one of the 16 realms of Ninjago.
- Lloyd Garmadon made an appearance in The LEGO Movie as a Master Builder (he was called the Green Ninja by Vitruvius).
- The Dimensions Crisis takes place between Ninjago's third season & fourth season, as the level Elements of Surprise takes place in the episode Tournament of Elements.
- Wave 4 is the only wave that doesn't include any Ninjago characters in Year 1.
- This franchise has the second largest number of playable characters with seven. The franchise with the largest amount of characters is DC Comics, totaling with ten characters.
- Along with Legends of Chima, LEGO City: Undercover, and The LEGO Movie, these are the only franchises that were originally licensed by LEGO.
- None of the original voice actors for the show reprise their roles for the characters.