Sonic the Hedgehog is a franchise appearing in LEGO Dimensions, as part of the Year 2 expansions. It is based on the popular video game series starring the character of the same name, which was originally created by SEGA and Sonic Team.
Sonic the Hedgehog is a blue hedgehog known and named for his ability to run at supersonic speeds. Along with many of his friends like Miles "Tails" Prower, Knuckles the Echidna, and Amy Rose, Sonic's high-speed adventures generally involve him and his friends thwarting the plans of Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik, who uses animals to power his robots. Time and time again, Sonic has saved the world from various threats, and still shows no sign of stopping.
- 71244 Level Pack
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Amy Rose
- Doctor Eggman
- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Big the Cat
- Team Chaotix (Unused)
- Buzz Bomber
- Moto Bug
- Star Pointer
- Green Hill Zone
- Chemical Plant Zone
- Aquatic Ruin Zone
- Carnival Night Zone
- Ice Cap Zone
- Sandopolis Zone
- Lava Reef Zone
- Hidden Palace Zone
- Death Egg Zone
- Emerald Altar
- This is the first game that includes Sonic the Hedgehog on PS4 and XBOX ONE.
- The first official Sonic game on these systems is Sonic Mania, which is to be released in the spring of 2017.
- In the E3 Expo Trailer for Year 2 of LEGO Dimensions sets, Sonic was seen taking The One Ring from Gollum.
- This is the first franchise in the game to have originated in the East, as most of the franchises in the game are Western properties.
- Traveller's Tales, the company that makes the LEGO games (including LEGO Dimensions), previously made two Sonic games for the SEGA Saturn and one for the SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive, known as Sonic 3D Blast and Sonic R.
- The Sonic the Hedgehog franchise was leaked early by a well-known leaker.
- The year that this franchise was announced and released for LEGO Dimensions was 2016, which happens to be its 25th anniversary.
- The Adventure World has a slight pixelated effect similar to Midway Arcade's Terrain.
- The studs in the game are rendered as Rings in the level and Adventure World, rather than its usual appearance in most of the levels and Adventure Worlds so far.
- The Red Brick of this world, Ring-a-Ding-Ding!, allows this change to apply anywhere.
- If you play the Sonic Dimensions level and have the brick on after you get out, the sound of the rings will play whenever you collect rings(studs)
- Several stages from past Sonic titles were adapted for the Sonic content in LEGO Dimensions.
- The level includes Green Hill Zone, Marble Zone and Labyrinth Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog, Metropolis Zone and Death Egg Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Emerald Coast from Sonic Adventure.
- Sonic's battle arena is based on Carnival Night from Sonic the Hedgehog 3.
- The adventure world features elements from Green Hill Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog, Chemical Plant Zone, Aquatic Ruin Zone, Metropolis Zone and the special stages from Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Carnival Night Zone and Ice Cap Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Sandopolis Zone, Lava Reef Zone, Death Egg Zone and Hidden Palace Zone from Sonic & Knuckles and the Emerald Altar from Sonic Adventure.
- This is the first franchise from Year 2 that connects to the story mode via a level pack or story pack.
- This world has the most music tracks, with 19 total. With the exception of the drowning theme, music tracks for the areas from the Genesis titles have been replaced by sound-alike tracks, as the rights to the originals are held by their respective composers and have to be licensed separately for use in games, even by Sega. Sega owns the rights to all music created from Sonic Adventure onwards, however, allowing for Dimensions to use tracks from games such as the Adventure titles and Sonic the Hedgehog 4.